Monday, January 18, 2010

Fighting with the Cursor

Why is it, that whenever I take the time to sit and write out my thoughts all I see is a sheet of white paper in my mind? I had a teacher that would say, "Always write. Write long, write short, write fast, write slow, write at night, write in the morning, write on your couch, write under a tree, write about sad things, write about happy things, write about colors, or people, or cars, or classes, friends or family, far off countries or your own hometown, but just write."
Easy for him to say. Sometimes I'll sit with my fingers softly touching the keys of my Cherry red laptop and wait for something to write about. I'll begin a sentence and then immediately hit the backspace button until I'm back where I started. A blank box with a blinking cursor laughing, almost mocking me for not being able to write. "I thought you wanted to be a writer?" it says, "I thought you wanted your voice out there for all to hear?" And so, to prove the cursor wrong, I try again only to repeatedly hit the backspace as before.
Sometimes, I admit, the cursor wins the battle , and I close out of my blog with nothing posted, no insight to share, no thoughts forever recorded in cyberspace. But I'm proud to admit that even though this is a bunch of nothingness that I have written, at least it's written. Point for me.

2 comments:

  1. I always fight with the Cursor too. But, he's "right" [forgive the pun], the only way to get anything out at all is just to write write write write write..... blah blah blah. Most of the time when I do this I want to delete or throw away, but then I save it - sometimes it makes me cringe to see them again, but others are salvageable and those I am grateful I don't destroy.

    Also, I can't believe I missed this post before, I enjoyed it and it helped me reflect about my writing habits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Denise,
    These are not possibly insightful---they are incredibly insightful thoughts. I love how you focus on 3 words in WW's poem and take your analysis to a new level.

    And guess what---through this blog your thoughts are now out there.

    ReplyDelete